preacherman

Monday, July 16, 2007

I Thank God For An Injured Opossum In Our Church Building

I believe God provides doors of opportunity every day for us to share the good news with others if we seek the doors he provides. Sometimes the doors that he opens are so strange.
The story that I am about to share with you is the door that God opened this morning for me. I went over to the office. I opened the door of the church building and noticed that one of the tiles had fallen through and an animal was curled up in the corner on the floor. I didn't know what it was at first. Being from the "big city" of Abilene, I knew the animal was wild and could possibly have rabies.
I called a man from our congregation, who called the city public works director who is a member of our church and does animal control. He came over to the building. He had with him a girl who was working a summer job and asking some questions about Jesus. She told me that she used to be Catholic, and was attending a Pentecostal church in town. A woman was coming through town claiming to be a prophet who had died and rose from the dead on the 3rd day.
The girl said the prophetess was going to tell the future about her life. I told the girl that I can tell you about a God who loves you more than you can begin to imagine. A real prophet named Jeremiah that tells us in his book that God wants "to prosper you, to give you a hope, and future." I had a good discussion with the girl about Jesus Christ, gave her an NIV Bible, and gave her some scriptures to read about false prophets.
She is a very smart girl, top of her class, NHS, etc. I told her to read the red letters of Jesus. I told her to think for herself and to read the passages I gave her. I invited her to church any time she would like to come she was welcome.
Later during his lunch break, the man from the city came over. He said, she was really thinking about Jesus Christ and was excited about the Bible I gave her.

I thank God for the opossum in our church building today. Have you ever seen strange doors of opportunity open before your eyes? Do you look for those doors of opportunity? Do we look so long at what we think might be the right kind of door that we miss the door right in front of us?

What do you think?
Share your thoughts.

18 Comments:

Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Preacherman, That's awesome, brother. Praise God. And yes, a great reminder for us all to be looking for the unexpected, and God to work through that.

By the way, hope you read the second comment I made to you on the blog today, because I think I could have been misunderstood with my first comment (on what God's will looks like).

9:53 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Ted,
I appreciate you stopping by my blog and adding to the discussion. I have been blessed by reading your blog on a daily basis. Yes it is I did read the second comment and left a response on your blog for you to read. I hope the readers of this blog will stop by yours and give it a look. I know they will be bless as I have. It is wonderful to see that God works in unexpected ways to reach those who are searching.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

That is great Preacherman.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

PTL!!!I'd better start watching for those opportunities.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Tim Archer said...

Neat story. I think God definitely puts such opportunities in our path.

Tangential question: How come they red letter what Jesus said, but not the words of God?

---Tim

8:22 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Tim, I told the girl the words of Jesus because those are the words she need to hear at the time.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

All these years of thinking Possums were good for nothing! (us southern girls drop the "O").

It is great to be open to the leading God provides in our lives daily.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Paula Harrington said...

Neat story. God uses possums :)

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post to read...very encouraging.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Laymond said...

That is not the first time God used possums, If you don't believe me ask Granny Clampett

9:56 PM  
Blogger Liz Moore said...

Isn't it amazing the tools that God can use for us to tell others about Jesus. Thanks for sharing!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

If the opossum opened doors to a couple people, just think what could happen if you stuck an elephant in the building!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Milly said...

God does use us in so many ways. Not long ago a woman lost her head where I work so many tried to help but she insisted I do it. I was swamped and trying to untangle everything. One young man stood so patiently waiting for me to help him. After that he and I talk when ever he comes in. Our last conversation was about how he has fallen away from God, I honestly don’t know how we even started talking about God. I gave him a bit of a lecture on holding on to his past. When I apologized fo going all mom on him he grinned and told me it was ok. Please pray that he picks up his Bible.

From opossums to crazy women on never knows do we?

Thanks for the comment on Miss Littles blog she thought it rather cool.

2:59 PM  
Blogger John J. Kaiser said...

I love reading stories like that. Amen.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

To Tim:

Jesus is God!

Grace to you,
Royce Ogle

5:19 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

I praise God for the door of opprotunity that he provided. I hope we all we see the doors that God opens in our lives. How strange they may be.

10:46 AM  
Blogger J. A.S.H. said...

Hi Kinney,

Do you have any updates on this young lady?

:),
Jennifer

12:05 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

insanity workout, north face jackets, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg boots, p90x, birkin bag, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, herve leger, hollister, canada goose, babyliss pro, ugg australia, canada goose, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg, nfl jerseys, nike roshe run, north face outlet, valentino shoes, mont blanc, celine handbags, nike huarache, new balance shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, canada goose, mcm handbags, beats by dre, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, canada goose uk, mac cosmetics, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, uggs outlet, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, abercrombie and fitch

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home