preacherman

Monday, August 06, 2007

Walking With God

I truly believe that life is about God. God created us to have a relationship with Him. Yes, he gave us a choice. I read in a book by Max Lucado but it is a common thought that many of us share, "love is only love if chosen". So, God created man to choose to love Him, to have a relationship with Him. One of my favorite people in the Bible is a man by the name Enoch. Enoch chose to have that relationship with God. Enoch is has shown me in the text what it is like to really walk with with God more than anything else in life. Gen 5: 21-ff "Enoch had lived 65 years , he become the father of Methuselah. And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away." Enoch is talked about in Hebrews 11:5-6 "By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

God wants us as Christians to walk with Him every day. Talk with Him, praise God for who He is, what he has done in your life, share with him how you feel, what you need, what you want. God cares about you. 1 John 1: 7 says If we walk in the light as he (God is in the light), we have fellowship with one another (his people) and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." Galatians 5:25 tells us, "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Let us as Christians walk as Enoch did. May we enjoy our God. May we know him personally and seek his will in every aspect of our life: work, family, play, hobbies. God wants to bless our lives more than anything. He wants to give us life abundantly here on earth. Listen to this promise for your life in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, " declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Praise God that He allows us to walk with Him now and on into eternity.

God, may I have the faith of Enoch and walk with you each day. Amen.

What do you think?
Share your thoughts.

17 Comments:

Blogger cwinwc said...

Good thoughts brother and thanks for visiting my blog.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post was very uplifting.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Candle (C & L) said...

I haven't been by for way toolong -- great to see your recovery and to have your thoughtful encouraging words.

God Bless
Charlie

p.s. Thanks for coming bymy blog.

7:11 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

cwincw,
thanks for stopping by and I really enjoyed your blog.

Nancy,
I am glad you were uplifted. I wanted this post to do just that and build up others in their walk with God. I know sometimes it is hard to keep walking when we live in the world. When we have so many distractions. I hope you have a great week!

Charlie,
God has been blessing me with my recovery. I do have good days and bad still. During the good days I praise Him and the bad days I lean on him and trust him. I was over on Bobby Valentines blog and thought I would jump on over to your and give you some encouragement. I am glad that God has blessed me in a way that I can use my blog for good and to glorify Him and build up others in their faith. God bless you again brother. Thanks for stopping by and you are welcome any time to join any discussion we are having.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. That's why God created the tree in the garden that Adam & Eve couldn't eat from.

Take care!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Laymond said...

If only we were all like Enoch, we would have spared Christ's suffering. May God Bless

10:08 AM  
Blogger J. A.S.H. said...

I was going to ask you why Enoch was one of your favorite people in the Bible, but now I see why.

That is a wonderful phrase, "Enoch walked with God..."

10:51 AM  
Blogger Liz Moore said...

I have always loved the story of Enoch. The Jeremiah 29:11 passage is also one of my favorite passages. What a great verse to pass on as a blessing to our children. It reminds me of the verse in Psalm 78 "we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done." Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Terry Laudett said...

Good post, preacherman! Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

Jesus is coming soon. We who are living for Him when He comes will be just like Enoch. We will be walking with Him and then we will be no more- on the Earth. God's grace is sufficient for us to live as Enoch lived and meet Him like Enoch did.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

I usually try to show Him where to go.

Good post preacherman.

8:04 PM  
Blogger mmlace said...

One of the most interesting verses in the Bible (in my opinion) is found in Gen. 3:8, right after Adam and Eve have sinned: "Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as He was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden." How did they know the sound of the Lord walking in the garden? How did they know it was the Lord? Unless they had heard/experienced this before? Had the Lord previously spent time walking with Adam and Eve in the garden in the cool of the day??? What a blessing that would have been!

I love the idea of walking with God daily, even minute-by-minute. Sometimes it's so easy to get wrapped up in the busy-ness of the day and forget that. But how wonderful it is to remember that He is always with me. No matter what I'm in the middle of, I can always stop and take a minute or two to talk with Him.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Neva said...

Walking with God means we must be on the same path, going in the same direction, with the same focus and the same goal. Perhaps that is why many of us have less that "Enoch-like" walks.

Peace
neva

10:56 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

I am just so greatful that God allows us to have a relationship with Him. It is a blessing that I know understand that Christianity is a walk with God. A peronal journey. When I slip he pick me up. He is a loving father who's got my back when the bully of life picks on me. I am just going to enjoy the journey with God and trust Him completely. I think that is what he wants from us. I appreciate everyone's discussions and thoughts. It is refreshing to see others walk and ideas on this passage.

5:31 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

mmlace,
you make a good point that in the garden they knew how it sounded to have God walking with them, among them. How awesome that would have sounded for us to hear. Wow.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Interesting that you mentioned this topic, just recently I wrote it down to do a sermon on it or an article.

9:31 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

insanity workout, north face jackets, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg boots, p90x, birkin bag, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, herve leger, hollister, canada goose, babyliss pro, ugg australia, canada goose, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg, nfl jerseys, nike roshe run, north face outlet, valentino shoes, mont blanc, celine handbags, nike huarache, new balance shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, canada goose, mcm handbags, beats by dre, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, canada goose uk, mac cosmetics, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, uggs outlet, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, abercrombie and fitch

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home