preacherman

Friday, November 16, 2007

It Has Been A Year Today

It has been a year today since I went to the hospital with GBS. I thought it was just a pulled muscle in my back. I remember the falling and being unable to get up at home and my wife taking me to the hospital and the series of tests that they did in the ER in Kerrville.

I went in about 10:00 a.m. My wife had a test in a class that she missed because she was with me holding my hand and comforting me. I remember an ER Neurologist came in the room and tested my reflexes in my legs. Nothing. She then sat down in a chair in the corner of the room. My wife was in a chair on the other side of the room and on was on the table and the Dr. said, "I have some bad news to tell you I think you have MS. I think you're too old to have MD so you most likely have MS. We can't be sure because of your past of having GBS when you were 5 but it is highly unlikely you can get GBS twice. I think it is MS."

It was like time stood still. My stomach dropped. I asked, "Is there any cure for MS?"
"No," was the reply. "It is fatal." We are going to put you into ICU over the weekend and do more tests because you did have GBS when you were 5 just to make sure it isn't GBS again."

My wife got on the phone and immeditately called family and I threw up. I prayed to God asking him for help. It was the longest weekend in my life. Waiting to find out the unknown. Was it MD, MS, or GBS?

I was so depressed over the weekend thinking the worst. I had several spinal taps to determine whether or not it was GBS. The first spinal tap showed the protein level to be 65- elevated, but not high enough to be GBS. So over the weekend we still had wait, which seemed like eternity.

On Monday the next spinal tap found out spinal protein level showed that it was GBS. I stayed in ICU over 14 1/2 days. They started IVIG treatments right away. I had serveral side effects at night from the IVIG which were migraines. I kept thinking in my mind though, "I can do all things though Christ who gives me strength." I couldn't move from my waist down and my arms were very weak as well. In order to move me, they had to use a lift. Physical therapy would come in and work on my muscles two hours a day when they did. I would think to myself, "I can do all thing through Christ who gives me strength." On one night it was so bad with pain. I remember screaming, "What are you sticking in my leg!" "The nurse said, 200 mg of demerol." I screamed, "Stop the pain God oh God stop it! Please God! Stop the Pain!" Another nurse on another side of the bed said, "We're trying sweetie!"

After that night, I totally surrendered my life completely over to God. I thought I had already done that. When I say completely, I mean: my life, family, ministry, every aspect of my life. Complete surrending to His perfect will.

I then moved from ICU to the 7th floor where I did physical therapy and occupational therapy for about a month. I remember with every workout, with every new challenge, and the first thing that I wrote down on paper in occupational therapy was, "I can do all things though Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13. I had nurses praying for me. As I was released from the hospital I went outpatient therapy for 6 months and went from a wheel chair from to a cane.

I am blessed to be at the church I am at because during the time the set up a medical fund because I have no medical insurance. The medical fund if you would like to donate to it is:

Kinney Mabry Medical Fund
People State Bank
Rocksprings Texas, 78880

The church also had men who were willing to come and preach while I was in the hospital and not able to preach. The church also allowed me to preach in my wheel chair even if my sermons weren't but 5-10 minutes in length. God has blessed my life over this past year. I am gaining more strength. I still have good days and bad days. I still have pain but it is getting better. I am now able to teach class on Sunday, preach on Sunday morning and Sunday night. I have gone from a wheel chair to walking on my own. God is good.

I ask that if you would like to donate to the medical fund do so or make a difference by keeping my family and I in your prayers. Thank you so much for all that you have done over this past year.

I am going to continue to grow in my relationship with God and Jesus Christ. I want to follow His will instead of my own. I want to love God more and more everyday and strive to be a better minister, husband and father. Most of all, I always want to be thankful for what he has done and continues to do in my life.

What do you think?
Share your thoughts.

20 Comments:

Blogger Falantedios said...

I praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for your continued growth and recovery. Christ in you gives me strength.

in HIS love,
Nick

2:56 PM  
Blogger Bill Williams said...

Praise be to God who has mightily worked in your life!

Thank you, also, for sharing this experience, enabling us to have a window into the inner recesses of your heart.

Faith truly is the victory!

-bill

5:18 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Nick,
Thank you.
You have been such an encouragement to me over the past year as I have needed it.
I want to thank you.

9:27 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Bill,
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I want to thank you for your support this past year for the donation sent and the prayers. It ment so much to me and my family. You brother are such an encourager and have been a strength to me over this past year as well through reading your blog and know that you have been praying. I want to thank you. Yes, faith is the victory. God is so God if we trust in Him. God bless you Bill, your family, and your ministry as you serve Him bodly.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Laymond said...

May God continue to bless you and your family.

10:08 PM  
Blogger TREY MORGAN said...

Kenny - I'm so glad that God has blessed you with more time on this earth. I know He must have great plans for you. I pray that you will continue to get stronger and continue to bless his kingdom.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Benjie said...

At Thanksgiving season, it seems you have the right heart--a thankful one. May God bless you as you continue to grow in Christ and your church as they continue to BE church.

Benj.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Great reminder Preacherman.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Preacherman,
It's good to read your story, what's happened to you. Be assured of my prayers. Thanks for your servant heart and service to us as a man of God and servant of God.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is a milestone!

mile: L. mila "thousands," pl. of mille "a thousand"
Ancient Roman mile was 1,000 double paces (one step with each foot), for about 4,860 feet, but there were many local variants and a modern statute mile is about 400 feet longer.

may you have many more years of milestones and may all your steps be traveled on the road to God.

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you continue to be an inspiration to me. My little problems are, well, little! I thank God you continue to improve.

12:40 PM  
Blogger jel said...

I agree with what Ben O said!


Am thankful

2:38 PM  
Blogger cwinwc said...

5 to 10 minute sermons! My son would say you're a gift from God. Thank you for sharing your journey of pain and faith with us. We lift you up in prayer from the Sunshine State.

10:49 PM  
Blogger mmlace said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing the past year with us. Praise God for all He's done for you! And pray that He continues to give you even more strength! Much love!

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great Thanksgiving!

9:28 AM  
Blogger David Kirk said...

Have a great Thanksgiving and may God continue to bless you! Hope to meet you someday!

10:38 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

I want to than everyone for their encouragement and support. Everyone on this blog family means so much to me. I love each and every one of you so very much and really words cannot be written for how I feel about each and every one of you. That is how much I love and how much you mean to me from the bottom of me heart.

Again thank you.

I know that God is only going to take me upworad from here.
Amen.

12:03 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, louis vuitton outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, ray ban sunglasses, air max, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, nike shoes, coach factory outlet, nike free, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, chanel handbags, christian louboutin shoes, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp handbags, coach outlet

8:14 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

insanity workout, north face jackets, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg boots, p90x, birkin bag, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, herve leger, hollister, canada goose, babyliss pro, ugg australia, canada goose, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg, nfl jerseys, nike roshe run, north face outlet, valentino shoes, mont blanc, celine handbags, nike huarache, new balance shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, canada goose, mcm handbags, beats by dre, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, canada goose uk, mac cosmetics, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, uggs outlet, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, abercrombie and fitch

8:21 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lancel, canada goose, timberland boots, pandora charms, thomas sabo, moncler outlet, hollister, canada goose, moncler, hollister clothing store, converse, ray ban, louis vuitton, rolex watches, iphone 6 cases, oakley, juicy couture outlet, vans, karen millen, pandora jewelry, ugg, moncler, air max, supra shoes, swarovski crystal, swarovski, pandora charms, moncler, moncler, converse shoes, gucci, ugg, louboutin, montre homme, air max, hollister, coach outlet store online, links of london, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, parajumpers, moncler, toms shoes, wedding dresses, moncler

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home