preacherman

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Communion, The Lord's Supper Discussion

Communion or the Lord's Supper is my favorite part of worship on Sunday's. It is a time that I reflect on my relationship with Christ, His love, sacrifice and life He gives through resurrection. I hunger for it. There is something that gives me nurishment, spiritual nourishment, strength in my faith when I partake of it with other believers. How about you? How does this act of participational worship help your faith? Do you long for it? I have been to some churches that seem to rush through it, not giving it the attention and thought needed. I have also been to churches that cherish it, spend much of or all of the service in the act. I have even heard of some churches having meals when taking it. Can we as believers neglect it? If so how? Can we argue over the mechanics of it that it looses all purpose and meaning? How often does your church take it? Does it matter how often it is taken? What does your church do to give it purpose and meaning to those partaking? What can we as believers do to give it more meaning when we participate? How should the believers attitude be when partaking and does that matter? How?

What do you think?
Share your thoughts.

9 Comments:

Blogger kc bob said...

Our church takes communion every week. I have mixed feelings about it because of how the last "supper" has become something different than a "supper "both in content and environment. The most meaningful times of communion I have had has been the ones shared in a small group with friends.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Tim Archer said...

I think meaningful participation in the Supper requires intentionality. That is, if you're just passing the trays because it's Sunday and that's what you're supposed to do, the Supper will be an empty ritual.

If we seek "communion," both with God and with one another, the Lord's Supper can be one of the most meaningful parts of our spiritual walk.

Grace and peace,
Tim Archer

9:22 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Kansas Bob,

I hear you...I have also had times of communion in smaller groups with friends and it has been the most uplifting and meaningful.

9:50 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Tim,

I agree we have to be intentional about it. Focus: heart, mind, body, soul on who we are, who He is and what he has done for us through is death. I think when we lack intentionality it does become empty and nothing more than a ritual. I love how you stress we must SEEK communion and when we do that it becomes the most meaningful parts of our journey. As I have been SEEKING communion with God he has been SEEKING to have communion with me as well. And know that make things much better in my walk.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! , I am a newby. Better had make an introduction.

see you around and Thank you

(sorry if this is the wrong place to put this post)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Arlene Kasselman said...

Kinney, I know that for me the most meaningful times have been when I am not merely passing a tray down a pew. At staff retreats when we as a leadership all share together, or with my Come before Winter teams before our women participants arrive at a renewal, in small groups, on Emmaus weekends, etc. Where you feel like you are relationally connected to those who are taking with.
An annual celebration of passover has really helped shape communion for us to. It frames and reframes it and gives it new life.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja, sannsynligvis sa det er

6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Years ago I interviewed John Howard Yoder when he came to the UK. The seminar he gave on 'body politics' was moving and wonderful. What struck me about what he said was the sense of God's presence in the ordinary - eating, drinking, hospitality, economics, friendship. It seems to me that we've lost much of the power of Supper by abstracting the celebration from its original setting of a meal.

12:33 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

insanity workout, north face jackets, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg boots, p90x, birkin bag, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, herve leger, hollister, canada goose, babyliss pro, ugg australia, canada goose, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg, nfl jerseys, nike roshe run, north face outlet, valentino shoes, mont blanc, celine handbags, nike huarache, new balance shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, canada goose, mcm handbags, beats by dre, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, canada goose uk, mac cosmetics, ugg pas cher, vans shoes, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, uggs outlet, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, abercrombie and fitch

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home